Shrinking The Planet – One Ride At A Time

KTM Leaks Picture and Information About New 1190 Adventure!

For a brief period of time, KTM “mistakenly” posted a picture and briefing on their new 1190 Adventure model adventure bike and wow is the thing reportedly loaded with features!  The quickly retracted posting claimed 148 hp, a wet weight of 518 lbs., a drive-by-wire system which allows switchable throttle maps, selectable ABS, and Traction Control.  To top it all off, there are variable seating positions, multiple windshield adjustments and spoked wheels, including the 21″ front.  With that setup, you’ll be able to get all sorts of off road rubber.  Nice.

So what does it look like you ask?  I was actually thinking of not posting it to get your reaction to a couple of questions that I am about to ask you all but I just can’t be that cruel after whetting your appetites.  So here it is in all its purported glory.

KTM’s 1190 Adventure

So if all of this sounds like an awesome package, I have to ask you all…  Will you be willing to take that much technology into the “out there”?  Does this bike make you nervous because it has so much technology that out on the open road, you would be worried that any needed repairs would be beyond your or even a remote service center’s capabilities?

Oh and one more question, will you be seduced by the 150 horses ready at your beck and call, at a simple twist of your wrist, but accompanied by a yoke weighing in at a little over 500 pounds?  That’s light by heavyweight adventure tourers standards, but would you wait for something lighter?

Let everyone know what you think about technology and weight by leaving a comment below.

Oh and BTW, I’ll have one in KTM orange please.

Ride2Adventure – Shrink the Planet, One Ride at a Time

7 responses

1. Nice Rumble

I’ll take one in Yamaha Blue and keep a Japanese dual sport in the garage for the times when the new 1190 is in the shop for repairs. Somehow it looks lighter than 500 pounds. KTM did a nice job with the styling. Like!

September 18, 2012 at 7:21 pm

• I’m pretty much with you, Skip. Especially on the first year model. But I’ll still take the pumpkin orange version. 🙂

September 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

2. Joe

Nice look, but still a little “cookie cutter”. I had expectations of some styling innovation out of KTM. Make mine 100 hp, but 75lbs lighter. Keep all the electronics, give me fixable. God I sound like a curmudgeon 🙂

September 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm

• Wha.. What’s that you say sonny? Speak up son… I can’t hear you… Get me a cup of tea will ya? Oh, and where did you put my glasses? You ol’ curmudgeon you…

Oh I do agree about being big. You know I took a KTM 250 XCF-w on the TAT ride last year. So it’s saying something that I’m somewhat bewitched by this new 1190A. But the as you so appropriately point out, does KTM (or anyone else for that matter) have something lightweight and sturdy on the not too distant drawing board? (Think KTM 690 Adventure).

September 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

3. Anonymous

Mike thanks for the info

September 19, 2012 at 7:40 am

4. Daemeon

New technology will be more unreliable than old technology. Recall when solid state ignition was new and unreliable? When ABS was new and tended to have its problems? And the interesting issues around the first tubeless bike tires?

Basically the further away from somewhere, the more mature the technology and the more solidly built the bike. I have low miles R69S with some upgrades. But it still does not stop or handle as well as my R1150GS (the R12GS is still a bit new for my tastes). But in Siberia? Let me have a really solid R80GS or possibly even an R60/2?

Or the KTM and Medevac for motorcycles.

November 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm

• Great comment Daemeon! I agree with your point about the more mature the technology the more dependible it becomes. However, I have that little voice in the back of my head that says, “if it’s computerized” you can’t fix it yourself on the road, especially when you are remote. So while I feel better about mature technologies, where those technologies are applied might be the overriding decision in my book. An ABS failure on the road, no problem. A fuel metering problem, that’s a different scenario.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!!!!

Mike

November 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Tell Us What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s